Saturday, May 29, 2010

Reflection on my Recipe

Well it is now time to reflect on my blog. Like the birthday cake I have rushed to cook that flops! I am left wondering where I went wrong with the recipe, and is there is any point starting over again? Or is it better to go out and buy a ready made one? Similarly, there are so many good blogs out there and life is too precious...... making my blog "rise to the occassion" is not worth wasting any more time on. Mark has provided a great safety net for me in Learning Tech with his Wiki.


The advanges of blogging was that I was forced to learn to "blog" - how to link: embed: search: make a Voki: Time tube:...... the list goes on. I would have liked to explore more of the resources and on-line tools. Learning from my colleagues and seeing what they were doing on their blogs greatly influenced me (thanks all)...it was a bit of harmless competitive fun to see what others were doing.


Drawbacks were mainly to do with "finding my voice" and feeling comfortable with what I was writing or expressing. Plus finding the time to achieve what I would have like to with the blog. You will notice the page for Universal Access technology has been deleted, I'd prefer to set up a purely professional looking, specific blog or Wiki on this topic.

Repetitive requirement for reflection...drives me a bit rancid I'm afraid, particulary when I simply "dont' know". I like black and white...tell me to find 4 different applications of virtual learning and I would be delighted to seek, search, discover and share!

The class interaction on blog sites between different students was quite limited - we had a lot more happening on the discussion board on WebCT. I think the Unit could be enhanced and more personally interactive if we kept the blogs simple and the class was divided into groups to research and present the information/on-line tools etc. back to the class. Half the fun is in the discovery. The use of the lab sessions was under ultilised - so I think there is time to do presentations in the Unit.

It was relatively easy to learn how to embed, just a bit frustrating when the image does not transfer across e.g. with the Domo Animate cartoon. Likewise I have no idea how to get the images on the right side of the blog to be complete...I have searched and tried different templates. Perhaps I need a other host site? Not being able to embed images in postings was also annoying. I find the host site limiting.

I liked being in tune with current affairs and appreciate the twitter feeds and postings from my class mates. The feeds and links helped to improve my knowledge greatly, so I personally appreciate how powerful collaborative learning is for education.

I have a long way to go, but now have confidence to apply some of what I have learnt in this Unit with blogging into a classroom environment.

Thank you one and all.


1 comment:

  1. Our final posts are almost the same! It was a funny task to get a handle on. My favourite thing though has been trialling it and working it out and now seeing its value in a classroom setting. Imagine if we had started one of these in our class without trialling one first? It would have been a disaster (it may still be) but at least we're on our way to getting it right :)

    ReplyDelete